Job Announcement: Assistant Professor of Strategic Communication
Posted: September 18, 2019
Assistant Professor of Strategic Communication
The Department of Communication & Journalism at the University of New Mexico invites applications for a Tenure Track Assistant Professor in Strategic Communication for the 2020-2021 academic year, starting August 2020.
The Department offers undergraduate majors in multimedia journalism, strategic communication, and communication studies; an M.A program in communication studies; and a Ph.D. program with emphases in media studies, intercultural communication, and health communication. The department seeks candidates whose scholarly/creative activity will contribute to our graduate emphases and whose teaching and/or professional experience can provide our undergraduate students with the theoretical understanding and practical experience and skills necessary to engage with the practices of strategic communication across multiple platforms.
Faculty members in this position typically teach two courses per semester at the graduate, advanced undergraduate, and introductory undergraduate levels, with the possibility to teach in their areas of specialization. They will also be expected to advise graduate students (M.A./Ph.D.), maintain an active research and/or creative agenda related to the Communication discipline, and perform departmental, university, and disciplinary service.
- Doctorate in Mass Communication or closely related field, completed by start date of appointment.
- Two years (minimum) of relevant professional experience in strategic communication, public relations, advertising, marketing, digital/social media, or graphic design.
- Strong record of scholarly and/or creative activity showing potential to lead to tenure and promotion to the rank of associate professor.
- Record of teaching effectiveness, with experience and interest in teaching undergraduate courses in field comprising strategic communication, including all or some of the following: advertising, public relations, digital/social media, and marketing as an integrated discipline.
- Ability to teach graduate-level quantitative methods courses.
- Demonstrated departmental, institutional, and/or disciplinary service.
- Record of active involvement in professional scholarly and/or industry associations.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities.
A complete application consists of: (1) letter of interest identifying areas of expertise, research interests, and teaching experience; (2) curriculum vitae; (3) a sample of a recent, representative publication or conference paper; (4) evidence of teaching effectiveness in the form of recent student course evaluations and teaching observations—or, in the absence of teaching experience, a statement of teaching interest and philosophy; (5) statement on diversity and inclusive excellence; and (6) names and contact information of three references. Only complete applications will be considered. References may be contacted as the search progresses.
For complete details, and to apply, please visit this website: https://unmjobs.unm.edu/ and reference posting number 10541.
For best consideration, please apply by October 4, 2019. The position will remain open until filled. For more information, contact Dr. Judith White, Strategic Communication Search Committee Chair, at email@example.com.
The University of New Mexico, the flagship university in the state, is a Research I university and a minority-serving institution. Founded in 1889, the University currently offers more than 200 degree and certificate programs to its student population of roughly 30,000. Its main campus is located in the heart of Albuquerque, a high desert city of 700,000 with a multi-cultural population. The city is bordered by the Sandia Mountains, bridges the Rio Grande, and enjoys 310 days of sunshine per year and moderate winter and summer climates. For more information about the University and about Albuquerque, respectively, see https://advance.unm.edu/why-unm and https://advance.unm.edu/why-abq/.
The University of New Mexico is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and educator.
The University of New Mexico offers benefits to spouses, to same-sex domestic partners, and to different-sex domestic partners.