Graduation & Commencement
What do I need to graduate with a C&J major?
In order to graduate with an undergraduate degree in Communication or Journalism & Mass Communication, you will need to have completed the following:
- Be officially admitted to the C&J department, and officially declared as a C&J major
- Complete 128 acceptable hours toward A&S requirements
- Complete all major and minor/second major courses with grades of "C" or better
- Have a UNM GPA of 2.0 or better
- Have a C&J major GPA of 2.5 or better
What is the difference between graduation and commencement?
Graduation is the process of being awarded a degree. You must have applied for graduation by attending your A&S graduation workshop and selecting the term in which you plan to graduate. If you find that you will be meeting all degree requirements before or after the term you selected for graduation, contact A&S advisement to either move your graduation date forward or back.
Commencement is the ceremony in which you walk across the stage. The ceremony is recognition by the University community, family, and friends of the degree achievement. Actual degrees are not awarded at the commencement ceremony and "walking" does not constitute graduation.
You can access more information regarding graduation and commencement by visiting UNM's Graduation website.